Everyone has an opinion and everyone has a mock draft. We are no different. Here are a few die hard Flames fans with their top five picks.
First up we have Jeff- you can follow him at @NHLFLAMESFAN Flames fan stuck in the Peg.
I’m really hoping the Flames somehow land Aaron Ekblad, he is the guy I was hoping for since the start of the season. He is the most NHL ready in my opinion and I feel he will become that stud defense man that could anchor a team for 10 to 15 years. While I don’t see him dropping to #4, no one thought Seth Jones would drop to #4 last year so anything is possible. He’s my ideal pick.
It’s tough for me to pick who I think the Flames will draft due to the fact that people think the Top 5 can go a number of ways, including some players not ranked in most Top 5’s getting selected (Like Nick Ritchie and William Nylander). Here is how I expect the Top 5 to fall:
1- Aaron Ekblad: He is the guy I see going 1st overall whether Florida keeps the pick or not.
2- Sam Reinhart. He sounds like the best forward and smartest player in the draft.
3- Leon Draisaitl. He’s a big body and everyone knows the Oilers can use a player like that to compliment their other young players.
4- Sam Bennett. He is the next best player available in my opinion. One thing to note is that I would not be surprised to see the Sam’s flip spots here as well.
5- Wild Card pick. I think a few people can go in this spot but the consensus seems to be Michael Dal Colle so I will go with him at #5.
Great Stuff Jeff. It would sure be nice to add Bennett a year after landing Monahan.
Next we have Lee- you can follow Lee who is always up to date with his hockey tweets at @SNOWDENNHL
I would like to see Calgary draft Sam Bennett but I don’t see him being there when it’s time for their pick. I think Bennett will be gone and the Flames will end up picking Leon Draisaitl from Prince Albert. My Top 5 draft picks will be as follows:
1- 1- Sam Reinhart to Florida.
2- 2- Aaron Ekblad to Buffalo.
3- 3- Sam Bennett to Edmonton.
4- 4- Leon Draisaitl to Calgary.
5- 5- Michael Dal Colle to New York Islanders.
Interesting to see Lee pick Reinhart at #1. Not many people have Reinhart at #1 but in my opinion he is the best prospect in this draft.
Next with his selections here is Justin. Another great follow @JustinBeatty777
Who should the Flames draft with the fourth overall pick? I believe it comes down to two people depending on what the other three teams do. The two players I see the Flames taking are Sam Reinhart or Sam Bennett. Two of they best center/forwards in the top 5.
I think Buffalo takes one of those two. Reinhart would be my pick if I had to pick one of them. Plus Flames have no Rights. Sam Reinhart is the smartest player in this draft and a great play maker that can play both ends of the ice.
My top five mock draft goes like this:
1 - Florida: Ekblad
2 - Buffalo: Bennett
3 - Edmonton: Draisaitl
4 - Calgary: Reinhart
5 - NYI: Dal Colle
Bennett makes sense to Buffalo because I think the GM of Buffalo loves this kid. Edmonton going with Leon is because of size, they need to get bigger and I believe he'll help him.
I like that Justin has Reinhart at number four. Flames in my opinion would win the draft if he ends up there.
Next is Randy, Randy is famously known for predicting the Jankowski draft choice of 2012, two weeks prior to that draft. Randy can be followed at @THEFANBLOGGER
WHO I WOULD PICK
Now why pick him? Because he is a Burke player. He is a big player, and plays with attitude. He is a solid centre with soft hands. He never quits and is willing to do what it takes to win. He is working on his two-way game and making progress. I would pick him because of his versatility in playing forward and centre, which gives the Flames more line options.
WHO I THINK THE FLAMES WILL PICK
A solid forward with offensive punch, Bennet is a top-6 forward with a bright future. The Flames will pick him because he is the best player available. I am guessing that the Oilers will pick Leon Draisaitl. Sam is a rock, and will be a solid addition to the Flames roster.
My Top 5
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Sam Bennett
5. William Nylander
Again we see Bennett at #4 to Calgary.
Next we have Christian who is another fun hockey follow @CRoatis
Who do you want the Flames to draft?
Well, if it was a personal preference, I'd like Aaron Ekblad just because he appears to be the best player in this draft. However, looking at it more realistically, I think Sam Bennett would be the perfect fit in Calgary, and has the second or third highest ceiling in his class, in my opinion, with Ekblad being first and Jake Virtanen probably being the other. Bennett managed 91 points in the OHL this season and the fact he couldn't do a pull up only enhanced his stock, in my eyes. If this kid can score at that rate without the upper body strength to pull himself up, imagine what he can do with that extra strength. Bennett projects as a top line forward who can line-up both at center and the left wing, making him a useful asset to move around when making strategic decisions. On top of all that, he slides right into this teams identity, plays the hard nosed, hard working brand of hockey Bob Hartley preaches. All in all, the perfect fit.
How do I see the top 5 going?
1. Aaron Ekblad - Florida Panthers/whoever gets the pickRegardless of who is making that selection, Aaron Ekblad is the only person I see going first. He's NHL ready, boasts a ton of a potential and is just straight up better than anyone else available at this point in time. Also, the Panthers have said they're leaning towards Ekblad should they choose to keep the pick.
2. Sam Reinhart - Buffalo SabresThe Sabres have said they will take one of the centers available and Sam Reinhart is probably atop their list, being the most NHL ready and offensively inclined (although an argument for Draisaitl can be made) of the three available. I think it comes down to the two Sams for Buffalo, and the decision to go to Reinhart is made because of his NHL readiness compared to Bennett's. NHLers do pull-ups, and while Bennett will get there, Reinhart is already there.
3. Leon Draisaitl - Edmonton OilersI don't know why. They said they love him and want him and that's why he's there but I don't get it. Those who follow me on Twitter know I'm not the biggest Draisaitl fan - at all - and don't view him as a Top 5 player. Having seen him play live 5 times this year, I can say with confidence his skating isn't there, he does too much standing still which will have him slaughtered in the NHL and outside of being a Top 6 scorer, he doesn't have any skills that would make him a useful NHLer outside that capacity, meaning if he doesn't get there, he's an auto-bust. I'll be ecstatic if the Oilers take him because that means the Flames won't and also because I don't like the Oilers.
4. Sam Bennett - Calgary FlamesFor all the reasons listed above: he fits in the system and has great tools and potential.
5. Vancouver Canucks - Michael Dal Colle I initially thought the Canucks would go with William Nylander but after the General Manager swap, I changed my mind. Jim Benning and his former Boston Bruins have drafted all of one Swede during his tenure there and considering the Canucks
Again we see Ekblad at #1 which seems to be the consensus.
Lastly I will share my prediction for the top five picks. And you can find me at @JASTA28
I would like the Flames to end up with Bennett but I do not think he will be available at 4
1.Ekblad- Picking a defense man first overall always comes with great risk. But Florida will look for him to replace Kulikov once they trade him.
2.Bennett- Buffalo gets arguably the best prospect in this draft.
3.Reinhart-Too good to pass up on? Most predict Draisaitl here but it is tough to look past what Reinhart could become
4.Draisaitl- Big, versatile forward who plays with an edge. Flames get bigger.
5.Dal Colle- Best of the rest. Another solid offensive prospect for the Islanders
Let us know your Top 5 and share your thoughts on ours.